Meet Megan Reamer – founder of Jackson’s Honest – a brand that makes chips cooked in coconut oil. Megan is an incredible woman with a background in the corporate finance world who realized at some point that her quality of life was suffering. So she and her husband Scott decided to pack up and move to a little town in the Colorado mountains called Crested Butte. Megan then proceeded to have a baby and another and another and another! It was when her first child, Jackson, was almost 2 that she realized something wasn’t quite right. It started as muscle weakness and by the time he was 5, he had lost so much of his motor function that he was living in a wheelchair. His condition went undiagnosed until he was 14.
Along the way, Megan and Scott took action by controlling one of the only things they could – what Jackson ate. They found that potatoes cooked in coconut oil did not cause inflammation in his body. Jackson’s Honest started after they realized that this product could both help others and tasted great. People were willing to pay to get them!
Today Megan is fresh off a successful Shark Tank experience and the business is on the fast track to doing incredible things. She’s also mourning the sudden and extremely difficult death of Jackson on August 13th of this year. This is a big, powerful, emotional yet hopeful episode that I believe taps into our humanity on all levels. Please take a moment to follow Jackson’s Honest on social media be sure to comment to win a Jackson’s Honest gift pack. The question: If you could live anywhere, where would it be? The point: What are you waiting for?
In this episode we talk about:
- What it means to be a mom: where “mom” falls on the priority ladder
- Megan’s son Jackson, his disease & the long road to finding help
- The Decision Tree: If yes, then x; If no, then y… How this concept helps Megan make decisions
- Parenting through your child’s long-term illness: weathering the storm as a couple
- Jackson’s Honest: Starting a business to help her child
- The benefits of an anti-inflammatory diet
- Shark Tank: THEY GOT A DEAL! Check out the final negotiation on Shark Tank here!
- Mantras, Big picture advice & Lessons she’s learned
We are in control of how we choose to face the world, even when difficult things happen to us or those around us. Megan is such an incredible person – as a mother, business person, partner and more. Her final nugget is simple and powerful. Write it down or commit it to memory – it will serve all of us at some point down the road – “Never ever ever EVER give up.”
You know what time it is. It’s time to get out there and Run This World! Have a great workout and I’ll see you next week!