Cat Bradley had a 0.1% chance of winning the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run based on the 1,100 ballots that had been cast. In fact, the 1 ballot that predicted she would win was submitted by her boyfriend so she doesn’t actually count that one! In the end, Cat Bradley came out of relative obscurity to win one of the most prestigious ultrarunning events in the world, against the toughest competition, at the young age of 25, in a sport where many people don’t peak until their 40s.
Sometimes I wonder if people would attempt to do tough, crazy things if they knew how hard it would be. Cat is one of those people who actually seems to seek out the toughest, craziest paths, and pursue them with abandon, as long as they are aligned with what is important to her. Namely a life of outdoor adventure where she is free to push her body and mind to places that most people will never go. Fresh off her Western States 100 win, Cat shared her path to this moment plus insights, tactics and a vision for what her future platform may be.
Today we talk about:
- Women’s equality in sports, especially endurance running
- Here’s a link to the post that Cat references in regards to the finish line faux pas she called out
- Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run: her race recap including ups, downs and more
- Cat’s background: what led her to become one of the best ultrarunners in the world
- How to execute on a plan when you can’t control everything
- Her favorite ultra for a newbie
- Cat’s race nutrition
- How mental toughness is the most important trait for success as an athlete
- Why she does two 1-minute planks everyday — with her boyfriend
- And more!
Cat is new to the spotlight. What she does with this powerful platform is up to her. After this interview I have no doubt that no matter where her path takes her, Cat will help many people in this world to find their voices and follow their true paths. Please check out the Skirt Sports Facebook page – we are doing a giveaway with two of Cat’s sponsors: Frost’d and RAD Boulder. All you have to do is tag a friend who loves breakfast (and doesn’t want to eat it naked), follow all three pages (Skirt Sports, RAD, Frost’d) and we’ll use a random number picker to choose the winner on August 8th! We just may have to do it live at the Skirt Sports Women Run the World event to really keep it REAL!
Allright everyone! You know what time it is. It’s time to get out there and run this world. Have a great workout and I’ll see you next week!Tags: cat bradley, endurance, frostd, nicole deboom, rad boulder, skirt sports, trail running, ultrarunning, western states, western states 100