Alison Teal has been dubbed today’s “Female Indiana Jones” by Time Magazine. She journeys into ancient cultures with her camera and a pink eco surfboard to uncover and share global secrets of survival, sustainability, health and happiness through her comedic and inspirational film series Alison’s Adventures. Alison was born into this role to world famous adventurer-photographer father and world-renowned yogi mother who took Alison across the globe on their quest for health, wealth and happiness.
Alison was catapulted yet again into the public eye when she accepted the offer to do the Discovery Channel’s “Naked and Afraid” show, garnering the highest survival rating and highest viewed episode ever (it may have been eclipsed by now, but she’s still often-cited as the most skilled survivalist). She has used this platform to continue pushing her agenda for awareness of environmental issues, specifically a film she created about the plastic pollution problem on the Maldivian island where she was marooned for 21 days. You can view it here. Her incredible ability to infuse humor into difficult topics creates an end result that makes watching gut-wrenching issues palatable to best raise awareness.
Today we talk about:
- Alison’s untraditional upbringing including adventure, education and her relationship with her parents
- What surfing means to her
- Alison’s experience on the Discovery Channel’s “Naked & Afraid” show
- What do you need to know in a survival situation
- The plastic pollution problem that is killing our oceans
- Alison’s Adventures film series: Why it’s important to include humor when uncovering very difficult topics
- Alison’s upcoming Adventure Hawaii – she is opening up her home for a week of fun, adventure, surfing, yoga and more
Register to win a sweet giveaway with some of Alison’s favorite things including $169 eco-friendly Zeal Optics Ace sunglasses made from 100% US grown cotton that decompose after 18 months of hitting the ocean and $169 gift certificate to Skirt Sports to help you keep your body fit and strong.
You can get to know Alison live and in person at her upcoming Adventure Hawaii trip literally at her real-life Swiss Family Robinson style home on the Big Island.
ALOHA! And as always, please let me know what you thought about this episode and any suggestions for future guests. MAHALO!
Tags: alison teal, environmentalist, great garbage patch, indiana jones, naked and afraid, plastic pollution, trash island, zeal sunglasses
Categorised in: Run This World Podcast