Today’s guest, Heather Caplan, is a dietitian, running coach, a woman who has struggled and overcome. She shares deeply and openly about our relationship with food, eating, body image and more. At one point she says, “I felt like my life was running me instead of me running my life.” That’s the point when she flicked the switch and changed her life. And that’s what we focus on today. How we can take control of our lives. In Heather’s world, this is focused on our often difficult, emotional relationship with food and eating as it relates to our relationship with our bodies.
Today we talk about:
- Diet culture – Being an anti-diet dietitian
- Intuitive eating
- What the scale?!
- Eating disorders – a broad spectrum
- Heather’s personal struggles with orthorexia (preoccupation with food)
- The Female Triad which consists of energy imbalances (possibly tied to eating disorders), menstrual changes & loss of bone density
- Habits and how to retrain our brains
- Lane 9 Project – Heather’s nonprofit that supports women
Heather is also a podcast host – check out her show RD Real Talk – she gets down and dirty in every episode. If you’re interested in her area of expertise, I encourage you to check out her show.
I love Heather’s final nugget “You do you. Don’t be afraid to do what’s best for yourself.” Because in the end, it’s often fear that holds us back from many incredible experiences we could have in this lifetime. When you let go of that fear and you sink into who you are, accepting and embracing yourself, you will find the gold!
For more Heather Caplan, go here!
- Website: heathercaplan.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RealTalkRD
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/heatherdcrd/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/heatherdcRD
- Lane 9 Project: https://lane9project.org/
And check out her gig on the TODAY show!
Okay folks that’s it for today. I think you know what time it is. It’s time to get out there and Run This World. Have a great workout and I’ll see you next week!